Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Early Career Planning

Yes, we do still exist. I apologize for the posting hiatus. It won't happen again. :)

Jonah is a mailman today. He and his mom told me this during dinner. He delivers mail on the street that runs perpendicular to ours, and his stuffed lamb, Baby Hoof, delivers mail on a street a couple of blocks away. Hoof ran out of mail today and had to go home.

I'm not sure when Jonah grew out of his childhood, but I think he skipped being a little boy entirely. We have another baby due in a few months, and despite the fact that we've been reading I'm Going to Be a Big Brother, he insists that he is not going to be a big brother. He is going to be a garbage truck driver, or an astronaut, or a construction worker, or a fireman (pictured here), depending on the day.

This may have started when he first became interested in vehicles. There is usually a truck involved, although he will opt for other vehicles as appropriate.

His choice in roles influences both his storytelling and mine. Each night, I read a story and tell a story at bedtime. When I ask what the story I tell should be about, it is always "Jonah the x". Sometimes he'll give me a lot more to go on, like "Jonah the tree trimmer and his tree trimming truck." This pretty much entitles me to tell a story about anything I feel like because Jonah, regardless of his role, is really a jack of all trades. The other night, for example, I told him about Jonah the truck driver and the mermaid. All truck drivers should have the scuba diving and shark chasing skills that Jonah has.

No comments: