Monday, October 23, 2006

June Lake: Jonah's First Boat Ride

My son, my wife, and I returned today from a three night trip to June Lake, CA. June Lake is a small recreational area east of Yosemite and about 20 minutes north of Mammoth. My dad and step-mom have a vacation home there and we visit occasionally.

On Saturday, Jonah rode in a boat for the first time. It was a small boat -- maybe 12 feet long, with an outboard motor -- and we went out so Jonah's grandpa could fish. Jonah bravely wielded the fishing net, touched a live fish, and fed cheerios to the ducks. He held on to mom or dad when the boat was in motion and walked around comfortably when we were anchored. What a fearless kid!

I was happy to see that my son enjoyed his boat ride, because I've always enjoyed being on or in the water. His grandpa plans to start teaching him to fish next year. Personally, I can't wait to start scuba diving with him.

No comments: